An oriental delight

Not that I am a great foodie, but I do agree that I am a good Chinese foodie. It has always been “food from the oriental” which has tantalized my taste buds and made me go ga ga over the saucy silky cuisine. Any day, any time, any place, Chinese cuisine is for me or is it the other way round (I am still a little confused over it). Though it has been a few years that I have sworn to be a true follower of “vegetarianism” and have forbidden any moving being enter my mouth and make way through to my stomach, still I relish the Chinese cuisine.

After making Delhi, my home away from home, for half of a decade now, I have hogged on my favorite food in most of the good as well bad restaurants which specialize in the cuisine. Starting right from the “House of Ming” (courtesy my previous job), the most popular and one of the best rated Chinese restaurant of Delhi’s one of the well known five stars hotel, to the little Van parked right in front of the FICCI auditorium at Mandi House. I have had them all. From the exorbitant to the cheapest, from the tastiest to the blandest, from the most sophisticated to the simplest way of making this cuisine, I have had them all.

I guess I have grown up with this cuisine, right from the time I was toddler and we used head every weekend to the “Girnar” restaurant in Raipur. This was a time when I still enjoyed non-veg and used to have chilly chicken (all washed up). Eventually, my mom made excellent Chinese, what to talk of chilly chicken, chilly paneer (the indianised Chinese), Veg Manchurian, Fried Rice, Noodles to name a few. For me, this cuisine is only second to our own staple diet of “Chawal & Dal”.

I always prefer this cuisine where ever I go. It tantalizes me so much that my salivary glands have started getting moist even as I write about it. So, to satisfy and satiate my palate I have to mention my favourite Chinese restaurant in Delhi.

It’s a very reasonable & affordable restaurant. A real delight for people who love Chinese cuisine the way I do. Just sandwiched betweem the Samsonite Showroom and Jainsons in E-block of the world’s biggest horseshoe (don’t be surprised!!! Its our very own Connaught Place) is “Bercos”. Though, they have come out with two more outlets at Noida and Rohini, I still love the outlet at CP.

All of the credit goes to my senior “Shikha Kapoor” (herself a very die hard Chinese buff), who first introduced me to “Bercos”. Ever since then, I am the one doing the introductions for the numerous of my friends and relatives who come down to Delhi and want to have some good Chinese. It’s been a long acquaintance with Bercos. Lot has changed, their furniture form the cane ones to the more stereotype wooden ones, more number of hostesses, menu cards and menu items but the taste and the queue for a place inside, still remains the same. To find a place at Bercos, nearing a meal time, either lunch or dinner, you need to arrive at least 10-15 minutes early or you are in for a 10-15 minute wait. A meal for two costs about two hundred bucks and the portions are ample. The taste of the food is awesome.
The service is quick and the ambience is lively. Most of the time, it is crowded with people. It is a great place to be if you want to meet up with friends, share a cozy evening with your better half, have a casual talk over a meal or throw a small budget party.

So to sum up for me, a long walk around CP (shopping or no shopping) and then a nice sumptuous meal at Bercos is my kind of oriental delight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unspoilt Beauty: Lonavala/Khandala

Earthquake

Just a Thought !!!