My first teaching experience

Nothing was right today or should I say ... it was right but I never felt it. The class was a chaos, it was maddening and noisy and I was feeling so damn helpless.

Every experience teaches you something and this teaching experience has taught me so many things. First being, patience. I thought I have overcome that bit of having patience but today, i completely went back to being my old self, with no patience.

Am still not sure what went wrong... probably my expectation of myself was too much or may be there were too many children to control.

The whole class was not together ...somehow pupils were not paying attention. It did start off well, but then down the line, it all fell apart. Was it the fact that there were not activities or games included. May be. Could have done it a bit better. I did start the class with a nice energizer and then the power point did keep the children engaged.

Think the whole idea of the just getting them to understand stuff was right but the way to do it was not too correct, or may be they are more accustomed to being taught by shouting and screaming. Then there were too many disturbances. First the students were required to go for the singing class, then the science teacher came in and started off with some experiment of hers, right in the middle of my class. I should have firmly told her that, she could do it after the class.

The whole experiment completely distracted the children from the work they were doing, that led to the chaos. I could have managed it then and there but it never happened. I just let it slip. This is the second learning - To be firm but not shout or scream, to put your foot down firmly and then stick by it.

The third thing I learnt was to let go of some things by taking the best out of it. The best part of the class was, most of the children could understand the concept and the methods I taught them. Of the two problems I gave them to do, almost 100% could complete the 1st problem accurately and that was a good sign. It did uplift my mood a bit.

Had I managed the class properly, i would have been happier. But not all days are same and so next time i will be more mentally prepared. This is just the beginning and good days will come as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unspoilt Beauty: Lonavala/Khandala

Earthquake

Just a Thought !!!